August 23, 2021
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Today I am writing to update you on our re-opening plans for the 2021-2022 academic year. Your patience and understanding continue to be appreciated as we awaited the most up-to-date guidance from health officials in order to navigate this complex process that we have been planning since early June.
The health and safety of our school community have been the centerpiece of our planning and decision-making around school reopening. Ensuring we maximize learning and meet students’ needs for social and emotional engagement has remained the top priority. To that end, all schools in the IMS network are planning to reopen five days per week in person on September 7th.
In accordance with medical and health guidelines from the Philadelphia Department of Health,
the Pennsylvania Department of Education, and other governmental health organizations, our reopening plan is built on five key tenets, all critical to helping us maintain a healthy environment: Screening, Hygiene, Distancing, Masking, and Cleaning.
• Screening – The most important step to prevent the spread of the virus is for parents to conduct daily symptom screening of their children before leaving home in the morning. Students and staff who do
not feel well, are sick, or are symptomatic need to stay home.
• Hygiene – All schools will have required hygiene reminder signage, personal sanitizers, and
other CDC-approved sanitizing products and equipment to strengthen hygiene practices in our
buildings. We will also be promoting sanitizing measures during the school day.
• Distancing – We will maximize physical and social distancing wherever possible. Classroom
layouts will be modified to achieve the recommended three (3) feet of spacing between students. Floor
or space markers and other directional signage will also be used to guide these recommendations.
Additionally, adult and parent visits to schools will be significantly limited.
• Masking/Face Coverings – In following with City’s Department of Health guidelines, the use of
masks and face coverings will be required of students and staff, regardless of vaccination status.
• Cleaning – The facilities department will continue to perform an enhanced and heightened regimen
of cleaning in all areas that will utilize supplies and disinfectants approved for use against COVID-19. Increased ventilation, sanitizing, and additional cleaning of high-touch areas are also part of the plan to safely reopen.
Thank you for your continued partnership as we advance a reopening plan that maximizes learning for our
students protect the health and well-being of our staff and students and ensure everyone’s safety.
President & CEO
Independence Mission School